07 June 2010

Adventures?

Do you ever seek adventure? How about fulfillment? Or the need for something more in life? I do. As I get older and realize that there is so much I want to do and succeed in, but I’m not taking steps to do these things, it becomes a struggle. As a kid I had dreams & goals; one goal will always stand out is I wanted to be a business owner by the time I was 30 years old. Well this dream isn’t COMPLETELY lost, yet, as I am only 28, but 30 is quickly approaching and why should I keep stalling?!?

If you know me or not, I’m someone who settles into a routine pretty easily and it’s hard to break me out of it. I’m not necessarily a “risk taker”. I would actually not categorize myself as one. The most risks I’ve probably taken have been in the past 6 years or so. It all started with this boy (of course). I had never flown ALONE before (and I hadn’t flown since before 911) and he asked if I wanted to visit him in NYC (this was fall of 2003). I couldn’t give him an answer right away, but I slept on it and the next morning the first thing I did was called him back and said – I will come visit! OMG, what the heck was I thinking?!? The small risks didn’t end there. After I graduated college, I and this boy moved to California. Yes, young Midwest girl moves to BIG Los Angeles. I had yet to find who I was and I’m in a big city trying to face many fears. We eventually moved back to the Midwest.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

The risks don’t end there. This boy has gotten me to leave the country and fly over the ocean (only to Dominican Republic, but I still flew over the ocean) and the cruise in 2007 was great as well, first time I’d ever been out of the US (super sad, I know).

I’m 28 years old (and I have been for a few months). But, I’m realizing I need to take risks to achieve the goals I set when I was younger. Because those goals are still my dreams and something I want to achieve at 30. So now, it’s time for me to take risks of my own, with the support of the boy, friends & family. This is a risk no one can push me into; it is something I need to discover on my own, but will need the support of those close to me.

“To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

What is the solution? Stop being such a wimp and face my fears! I am a confident, sexy person. I know this. I need to put myself out there and go get what I want, vs. waiting for it to happen.

I can’t wait for the day to be in my suit coat, cute skirt, sexy yellow heels (I LOVE yellow right now), with my latte, waiting for my next appointment or client. That day will come and I will be working towards that in the next year to achieve my dreams, passions and goals!

What are your goals?

Photo 1 – High School with my great friend Anna (we were going to Rent!) photo probably by my mom :)
Photo 2 – Summer 2009, rewarding myself for working so HARD on my body, being confident and documenting my life fitness journey. Photo by Ben Kusler

1 comment:

Mariah said...

Lacey, I'm so proud of you for doing this. I'm only 30 (well 29 for a few more months). I spent my 20's having babies. I do not regret that at all. I just wish that I had embraced my body and self more. For me, now, it's a lot harder because I have kids and my body is not what it used to be. So congrats to you! Keep it up!